Did you see Superman Returns? I saw it twice; I had read little snippets that there was significant Christian symbology in it, but it was much more obvious to me when I saw the movie. Warning, spoilers below, so don’t click if you don’t want to know:
- Jur-El telling his son Kal-El that he’s sending him to earth because humans “lack the light to show the way. For this reason I have sent them you, my only son.”. Some have pointed out that “El” is the Hebrew word for God.
- When Superman says something like, “You say that people don’t need a savior, but every day I hear people crying out for one.” That was beautiful.
- When Lex Luther stabs Superman in the side, did it remind you that Christ was pierced in the side by the Roman guard?
- When Superman “dies”, he falls to earth with arms outstretched like a cross.
- Is he in the hospital 3 days before he lives again? When the nurse checks his room and finds it empty, I thought, “Mary Magdelene!”
What do you think? Am I reading too much into it? Did you notice other Christ-like symbolism?