Let’s go through an example of using a trackback, step by step.
- First, make a post on your own blog that talks about Chasing the Wind. “Michael said something interesting at “Chasing the Wind.”
- If you’re on Livejournal, at the bottom of the post you just made it says “Link.” Click it, and that’s your “permalink” for that post, and it appears in your browser’s address bar. It’ll look like this: http://www.livejournal.com/~spinthemoon/5108.html
- If you’re on blogger.com, your permalink can be found by clicking on the timestamp; e.g. http://courtneycs.blogspot.com/2004/07/testing-1-2-3.html .
- Trackback URL: That’s my trackback entry where you’re trying to get a link back to your site. Right-click on that field and choose “Paste.” If you did Step 3 properly above, it should fill the field in with http://www.chasingthewind.net/wordpress/wp-trackback.php/177
- Your permalink URL: That’s the link where you’re talking about me, your permalink. Put http://www.livejournal.com/~spinthemoon/5108.html or http://courtneycs.blogspot.com/2004/07/testing-1-2-3.html
- Title: That’s the title of your post, “Mosquitos R Us” or “Testing 1-2-3”.
- Except: A short blurb that summarizes your post: “Michael gets bit by mosquitos, too” or “Chasing the Wind never supplies #2 pencils.”
- Your Blog Name: Spin the Moon or Spritzy.
That’s it; you have a new link on my site that points back to your site, increasing the number of readers for both of us. Practice on this post if you want to. 🙂